Things to see and do: Out and about in Ayrshire
Ayrshire is a region rich in Scottish history, where historic castles and tower-houses, some in ruins, some preserved, remain throughout the countryside.
The region is renowned for the quality of its food and many local restaurants reflect this. With an abundance of delicious fresh fish and seafood, top quality beef and mouth-watering Ayrshire potatoes or ‘tatties’ as they are known, you will find excellent food wherever you go.
Highlights include the numerous beautiful beaches, Culzean Castle and a visit to Burns Cottage in Alloway, birthplace of Scotland’s favourite son, Robert Burns.
The main town of Ayr (18 miles from Turnberry) has a wide range of shops, bars, clubs and restaurants, plus several golf courses, horse racing, theatres, a cinema, play centres, farm parks and crazy golf.
Nearby Girvan, where you will find restaurants, shops and a lovely beach, is an unspoilt seaside town which offers a diverse range of sporting pursuits as well as many art and craft activities.
To help you plan your visit, we’ve highlighted some of Ayr’s shopping and entertainment options:
- Ayr Racecourse: Scotland’s top racing venue is only a half hour drive from Turnberry Holday Park and stages around 24 fixtures, both National Hunt and Flat, providing all year round entertainment and top sporting action.
- Odean Cinema Ayr: located in Burns Statue Square, opposite the train station at the top of the High Street.
- Gaiety Theatre: historic seaside variety theatre with a year round programme of spectacular shows including famous names from comedy and music.
- Palace Theatre: in Kilmarnock and just a 30min drive from Turnberry Holiday Park, the theatre has a 500 seat auditorium and an intimate café bar which is the venue for the comedy club and music gig nights. The year round programme of music, comedy, drama, dance and light entertainment is suitable for all the family.
- Ayr Central: an open air shopping centre featuring a large number of well-known high street stores.Kyle Centre: a covered shopping centre with well known stores and a food court